New Zealand vs Pakistan, 1st Semi Final Match, T20 WC 2022 – Fantasy Preview with Predicted Playing XIs, Venue Details, Relevant Stats & Full Fantasy XI
New Zealand will take on Pakistan in the 1st Semi Final Match of the 2022 T20 World Cup and 12th Khiladi provides you with the Dream11 prediction and fantasy tips for this contest.
The Kiwis were the first team to book their spot in the semi-finals while their opponents Pakistan, defied all odds and miraculously made their way into the semi-finals on the final day of the Super 12 stages. In the last five matches that these two teams have played each other, Pakistan has got the better of New Zealand on four of those occasions.
WK: Devon Conway, Mohammad Rizwan
BAT: Kane Williamson, Babar Azam, Glenn Phillips
AR: Shadab Khan, Mitchell Santner
BOWL: Haris Rauf, Tim Southee, Shaheen Afridi, Lockie Ferguson
C/VC: Shadab Khan, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee
Differentials: Mohammad Haris (28%), Ish Sodhi – bowl 2nd (14%), Mohammad Nawaz (23%)
C/VC Differentials: Haris Rauf – bowl 1st (1.6%), Kane Williamson (6%), Babar Azam (3.9%)
Sydney Cricket Ground – Venue Notes
- Average First Innings Score in all T20s since 2018: 154
- Bat First vs Bowl First in all T20s since 2018: Win batting first – 16; Win chasing – 14
- NZ-PAK Players in the top 10 leading run-scorers list since 2018: Glenn Phillips (6), Devon Conway (10)
- NZ-PAK Players in the top 10 leading wicket-takers list since 2018: Trent Boult (3), Mitchell Santner (7), Tim Southee (8),
- Wicket distribution by bowling type at SCG in WC’22: RAP – 38, LAP – 14, SLO – 10, WS – 14, OS – 7
- 5 out of 6 matches in this World Cup have been won by the team batting first in this tournament at SCG and even the team (England) that won, only managed to limp their way over the finish line in the final over while chasing a score of 141.
- The straight boundaries are long while the square boundaries are one of the shortest in the country.
- It is a high-scoring venue and the team that wins the toss will look to bat first and put pressure on the team chasing the score.
- The quick-pace bowling is not ideal here while spinners and bowlers who can also take the pace-off have found more success at this venue.
Predicted Playing XI
New Zealand: Devon Conway(wk), Finn Allen, Kane Williamson(c), Glenn Phillips, Daryl Mitchell, James Neesham, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult
Pakistan: Mohammad Rizwan(wk), Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Haris, Shan Masood, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Wasim, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf
New Zealand vs Pakistan, T20 WC 2022, 1st Semi-Final Stat Box
Player performances in New Zealand vs Pakistan matches
- Devon Conway vs PAK: 194 runs at 39/113 in 6 innings
- Finn Allen vs PAK: 87 runs at 29/155 in 3 innings
- Kane Williamson vs PAK: 299 runs at 33/119 in 11 innings
- Glenn Phillips vs PAK: 165 runs at 16/101 in 10 innings
- Mitchell Santner vs PAK: 7 wickets at 19/6.6 in 6 innings
- Trent Boult vs PAK: 3 wickets at 55/8.1 in 7 innings (…)
- Tim Southee vs PAK: 15 wickets at 17.6/6.7 in 11 innings (…)
- Ish Sodhi vs PAK: 9 wickets at 29/8.8 in 13 innings
Bowler vs Batter matchup
- Devon Conway vs Haris Rauf: 4 outs at 7/107 in 27 balls
- Kane Williamson vs Shadab: 2 outs at 33/103 in 65 balls; 2 outs in 69 balls in ODIs as well
- Glenn Phillips vs Rauf: 2 outs in 21 balls at 124 SR
- Glenn Phillips vs Shaheen: 2 outs in 6 balls
The recent form of players from New Zealand.
- Finn Allen’s recent form: 32, 16, 1, 42, 6, 12, 32, 62, 16
- Devon Conway’s recent form: 28, 3, 1, 92, 14, 64, 49, 70, 36
- Kane Williamson’s recent form: 61, 40, 8, 23, 3, 59, 9, 30, 31
- Glenn Phillips’ recent form: 17, 62, 104, 12, 20, 29, 60
- Mitchell Santner’s recent form: 2w, 1w, 2w, 3w, 0w, 2w, 30+1w, 1w
- Ish Sodhi’s recent form: 2w, 1w, 2w, 1w, 1w, 1w, 1w
- Lockie Ferguson’s recent form: 3w, 2w, 1w, 1w, 0w, 1w, 2w, 1w
- Trent Boult’s recent form: 0w, 0w, 4w, 2w, 0w, 0w, 2w, 1w, 2w, 4w
- Tim Southee’s recent form: 2w, 1w, 1w, 3w, 1w, 2w, 2w, 2w
Player performances in Pakistan vs New Zealand matches
- Mohammad Rizwan vs NZ: 215 runs at 31/114 in 7 innings
- Babar Azam vs NZ: 359 runs at 45/121 in 10 innings
- Shadab Khan vs NZ: 11 wickets in 13 innings; only 2 wickets in the last 7
- Haris Rauf vs NZ: 14 wickets at 10/7.6 in 6 innings;
- Mohammad Nawaz vs NZ: 3 wickets in 4 innings
- Shaheen Afridi vs NZ: 8 wickets in 6 innings; excellent h2h in ODIs
- Shan Masood vs NZ: 33 runs in 3 innings
Bowler vs Batter matchup
- Mohammad Rizwan vs Southee: 2 outs at 22/100 in 45 balls; plays boult well
- Mohammad Rizwan vs Sodhi: 2 outs at 10/140 in 15 balls
- Babar Azam vs Boult: no outs in T20Is
- Babar Azam vs Southee: 2 outs in 55 balls at 87 SR; 2 outs in ODIs
- Shadab Khan vs Sodhi, Santner: Sodhi smashed 55 in 23 at 239 SR; Santner 2 outs in 9 balls
- Mohammad Nawaz vs Southee: 2 outs in 11 balls
Players from Pakistan in the T20 World Cup 2022
- Babar Azam in T20 WC 2022: 6, 0, 4, 4, 6, 25
- Mohammad Rizwan in T20 WC 2022: 0, 4, 14, 49, 4, 32
- Shadab Khan in T20 WC 2022: 1w, 0w, 17+3w, 3w, 52+2w, 2w
- Mohammad Nawaz in T20 WC 2022: 1w, 2w, 22, 0w, 28+0w, 4
- Haris Rauf in T20 WC 2022: 2w, 2w, 1w, 1w, 1w, 1w
- Shaheen Afridi in T20 WC 2022: 2w, 0w, 0w, 1w, 3w, 4w
- Mohammad Wasim in T20 WC 2022: 0w, 4w, 2w, 1w, 0w
New Zealand – Fantasy Notes
- Despite all the stats, the key battle will be psychological in an all-pressure game like this and the Kiwis will not start as the favourites due to their poor head-to-head record. That said, they have the advantage of being experienced in playing at this stage of the tournament.
- There is no doubt that Trent Boult will feature in many fantasy teams for this match and rightly so. He has been one of the best performers in this world cup both in the powerplay and at the death. While that is true, he has less than 1 wicket per game against Pakistan in T20Is, which does not guarantee a lot of fantasy points like he usually does.
- On the other hand, Tim Southee has been one of the best performers in encounters against Pakistan. He is a reliable, differential c/vc pick as he has also not gone wicketless in any of the recent T20 matches.
- Barring the first match against Australia, Devon Conway has not looked as comfortable as he usually does in the middle. He has been dismissed by off-spin in the last 2 matches and Pakistan would be tempted to try Iftikhar Ahmed early on against him.
- Kane Williamson looked in good touch in the last match but he is a player that generally starts slow, which is also the best time to put pressure and dismiss him. Tight lengths by the pacers early on is a perfect setup for the spinners to come in and pick up his wicket.
- Mitchell Santner and Ish Sodhi are excellent fantasy picks to consider at this venue, particularly if they bowl in the second innings.
Pakistan – Fantasy Notes
- Pakistan will start as slight favourites in this match and they will also be high on confidence after their stunning comeback from the brink of being eliminated to qualifying for the semi-finals.
- The team has six bowling options – 4 pacers and 2 spinners. SCG is a venue that also assists spin and New Zealand has a number of right-handers in the middle order, which makes both Shadab Khan and Mohammad Nawaz excellent picks for this match.
- Haris Rauf has an excellent record against New Zealand and he will also be key in his matchup against Devon Conway as he has dismissed him 4 times already. He can also be considered for the c/vc, preferably if Pakistan bowls first.
- Shaheen Afridi’s return back to form has prompted Babar Azam to give him back the responsibility of bowling in the powerplay and at the death. Under lights, he will be a massive threat to the New Zealand batters especially given that this is a knockout match which adds to the pressure for the batters.
- A player of Babar Azam’s quality should come good in one of the most important matches, given he was in fine form prior to the World Cup and also had decent numbers in Australian conditions. He also has a good record against New Zealand and it would be a lost opportunity to not pick him when he is selected in just 42% of the teams.
- Mohammad Haris and Finn Allen are two differential picks you can try as they are the batters with the most attacking intent in the top order of their respective teams. If either of them gets going at the start, they could score plenty of points given that SCG is a high-scoring venue with an advantage of short square boundaries.
Note: Return after 15 minutes of the toss for a fully updated XI
Stats Credit: Cricinfo and Cricmetric