Sri Lanka vs Ireland, 15th Match, T20 WC 2022 – Fantasy Preview with Predicted Playing XIs, Venue Details, Relevant Stats & Full Fantasy XI
Sri Lanka will take on Ireland in the 15th Match of the 2022 T20 World Cup and 12th Khiladi provides you with the Dream11 prediction and fantasy tips for this contest.
The last time these two sides met, Sri Lanka beat Ireland convincingly by 70 runs in a match that witnessed some notable performances from Nissanka (61 runs), Hasaranga (71 runs and a wicket), Theekshana (3 wickets) and Little (4 wickets). Sri Lanka will start this match as strong favourites but Ireland will have an advantage of being more familiar with the conditions at Hobart, having played all their first-round matches here.
WK: Kusal Mendis, Lorcan Tucker
BAT: Dhananjaya de Silva, Charith Aslanka, Paul Stirling
AR: Wanindu Hasaranga, Curtis Campher
BOWL: Maheesh Theekshana, Joshua Little, Lahiru Kumara, Binura Fernando
C/VC: Wanindu Hasaranga, Maheesh Theekshana, Curtis Campher
Differentials: Chamika Karunaratne (13%), George Dockrell (24%)
C/VC Differentials: Maheesh Theekshana (1.9%), Dhananjaya de Silva (2%)
Bellerive Oval, Hobart – Venue Notes
- Average First Innings Score in all T20s since 2018: 166
- Bat First vs Bowl First in all T20s since 2018: Win batting first – 19; Win chasing – 15
- SL-IRE Players in the top 10 leading run-scorers list since 2018: None
- SL-IRE Players in the top 10 leading wicket-takers list since 2018: None
- Wickets distribution by bowling type since 2018: RAP – 154, LAP – 63, SLO – 25, OS – 33, WS – 49
- It is clear to see that the pacers have dominated at this venue. In the case of spinners, they will play a key role if the pitch remains slow as it did the previous matchday due to the continuous use of this pitch for Group B matches. The best spin bowling type at the venue is wrist spin.
- The average first innings score at this venue over the last few years shows that it is a good batting surface but the last few matches have seen a drop in the number of runs scored.
- One end of the ground is short and that will be an area where the batters will look to target.
Predicted Playing XI
Sri Lanka: Kusal Mendis(wk), Pathum Nissanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Charith Asalanka, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dasun Shanaka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Chamika Karunaratne, Lahiru Fernando, Maheesh Theekshana, Binura Fernando
Ireland: Paul Stirling, Andy Balbirine(c), Lorcan Tucker(wk), Harry Tector, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Gareth Delany, Mark Adair, Simi Singh, Barry McCarthy, Josh Little
Sri Lanka vs Ireland, T20 WC’22, 15th Match Stat Box
Performances of Sri Lankan players in Australia so far. These are still small sample sizes but Nissanka, Theekshana and Hasaranga stand out.
- Kusal Mendis in Australia: 121 runs at 17/122 in 7 innings
- Pathum Nissanka in Australia: 222 runs at 37/110 in 10 innings
- Charith Asalanka in Australia: 53 runs at 11/90 in 5 innings
- Bhanuka Rajapaksa in Australia: 63 runs at 16/107 in 5 innings
- Wanindu Hasaranga in Australia: 12 wickets at 12/8.1 and 52 runs in 7 innings
- Maheesh Theekshana in Australia: 9 wickets at 15/6.8 in 6 innings
- Chamika Karunaratne in Australia: 3 wickets at 38/7 in 6 innings
The threat for both Sri Lankan openers against Adair and Little in the powerplay
- Pathum Nissanka vs R-Pace in PP: 12 outs at 19/94 in 30 innings
- Kusal Mendis vs L-Pace in PP: 6 outs at 14/102 in 24 innings
The Irish batters struggle against spin and in particular, the Wrist-spin bowling type in Overs 7-20 when the field is spread out.
- Paul Stirling vs Wrist-Spin: 10 outs at 19/141 in 16 innings
- Andy Balbirnie vs Wrist-Spin: 11 outs at 12/96 in 24 innings
- Lorcan Tucker vs Wrist-Spin: 5 outs at 18/96 in 22 innings
- Harry Tector vs Wrist-Spin: 5 outs at 31/119 in 22 innings
- George Dockrell vs Wrist-Spin: 10 outs at 14/127 in 23 innings
- Paul Stirling vs Off-Spin: 10 outs at 18/138 in 27 innings
- Harry Tector vs Off-Spin: 6 outs at 13/119 in 15 innings
The recent form of some of the Irish players
- Andy Balbirine’s recent T20 form: 37,14, 3, 9, 15, 1, 46, 51, 0, 14
- Harry Tector’s recent form: 14, 1, 0, 0, 5, 47, 5, 2, 14
- Gareth Delany’s recent form: 3w, 0w, 0w, 1w, 0w, 3w, 0w, 2w, 1w
- George Dockrell’s recent form: 39, 24, 2, 7, 41, 58, 25*, 10*
- Lorcan Tucker’s recent form: 45*, 20, 11, 34, 14, 4, 31, 27, 50, 0
- Simi Singh’s recent form: 1w, 0w, 2w, 1w, 0w, 0w, 2w, 1w, 1w, 2w
- Barry McCarthy’s recent form: 1w, 0w, 0w, 1w, 0w, 1w, 0w
Sri Lanka – Fantasy Notes
- It was reported on Cricinfo that the injury to Pramod Madushan is not too bad but it is unlikely that he will be rushed to play in this match. If he plays by any chance, he is likely to replace Binura Fernando in the XI.
- Kusal Mendis struggles to score quickly against left-arm pace in the powerplay and he will be facing Joshua Little, who has a knack for picking up wickets early on. Keep Mendis in your team but also make sure to rotate him in your grand league combinations.
- If Sri Lanka bowl first, it is a good idea to load up on at least 4 Lankan bowlers in your teams. The first two obvious picks are the spinners – Wanindu Hasaranga and Maheesh Theekshana.
Ireland – Fantasy Notes
- An Irish team comprising only right-handers in their lineup is vulnerable to any type of away-spin bowling. As expected, all of their batters struggle badly against wrist spin and Wanindu Hasaranga has a great opportunity to run through their batting order in this match.
- Keep Paul Stirling in your team, at least in the smaller leagues! Despite the struggle against spin, he maintains a healthy strike rate, which means that he is neither a player you can entirely rely on nor a player you can confidently drop.
- Harry Tector like his Ireland captain Andy Balbirnie is in a poor patch of form. Just like Balbirmie showed positive signs of intent in the previous match, back Tector to come good as a differential in one of these matches.
- A safer alternative to Tector is George Dockrell who while in better form, will also bat at Number 6 and it is more than likely that Ireland will lose a few wickets at the top, particularly if they bat first.
- As the only wrist-spinner in the team, Ireland will rely on Gareth Delany to pick up wickets and put pressure on the opposition in the middle overs. Pick him especially if he bowls in the second innings.
Note: Return after 15 minutes of the toss for a fully updated XI
Stats Credit: Cricinfo and Cricmetric